Project: Quilted Dog Jacket

Sew Tunes: Kate Nash (Pandora Station)

Pattern: Martha Stewart’s Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts (again!)

Fabric Used: Linen and Fleece

New to Me: Outfitting a pet pug

Trips to Store: 1x

Loved One: My four-legged friend Rocco.

Day by Day…

I didn’t get my fill of Martha Stewart’s Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts last week. While working on the baby kimono, I saw the quilted dog jacket pattern, and instantly thought of Rocco. Rocco’s momma Katie has been very supportive of my sewing experiment. She has given me a ham. No, not Rocco. A sewing ham:

As well as this beautiful Japanese silk, which will require much more practice before using as part of a project:

So as a thank you for her thoughtfulness, Rocco will soon be able to sport a couture dog jacket, or should I say COATure?

Sunday, November 13:

First stop: Hancock Fabrics to pick up the supplies – fabric, thread, and bias tape. I wanted to go with fall colors, specifically browns and greens. I found the linen first (top of the coat), and went to the fleece section (for the underside of the coat) and found this complementing fabric:

Tuesday, November 15:

There are four pattern pieces total:

  1. Collar
  2. Strap
  3. Dog coat – top
  4. Dog coat – underside

I printed out the PDF pattern. I lined up both the top of the dog coat (9 sheets total; 3 rows x 3 columns) and the underside (9 sheets total; 3 rows x 3 columns) pattern pieces. Similar to last week, I cut the borders off of the tops and bottoms of the sheets in row 2, and the left and right borders off the sheets in column 2. I taped:

Then cut.

Wednesday, November 16:

Momma Schlotbom arrived for a mother / daughter weekend. I am very much looking forward to the QT, especially QT in the craft room. Our first project: set-up a Brother sewing machine that my friend donated to the cause (a.k.a. me).

My Singer has a drop-in bobbin, and I am very comfy now with winding and threading the bobbin. But with this model of Brother, the bobbin is placed in a bobbin case which is then placed in a “shuttle race.” Oh Brother! This sister was not understanding it, and had the internet close by:

Time for mom to give it a try:

We didn’t have much success, even after calling Brother’s technical support. To my readers, if you have experience with a “shuttle race,” I would love some helpful hints. Please share!

Saturday, November 19:

The pattern is cut. Now it’s time to quilt. The last time I quilted was during week two. I placed the linen fabric on top of the fleece and pinned in place. I then traced lines to create diamonds. Each vertical and horizontal line were 3″ apart:

Remembering back to the oven mitts (and what I did wrong while quilting that project), I started stitching from the center line and worked my way out. It worked perfectly. No puckering. I now have one piece, and it’s time to place the pattern on it:

I can’t understand why there are two main pieces – a top pattern piece and the underside pattern piece. They are both the same size when you have the wrong sides together. The underside pattern piece must be included for the placement of the velcro only.

I cut the main piece, then cut the collar. But when cutting the collar, I was mindful of the quilting lines. I wanted to be sure they lined up with the main coat as it will be sitting on top of it. Momma Schlotbom suggested having the flannel side showing on the coat. I like! I placed bias tape along the sides and bottom edge of the collar, then pinned it to the coat. Stitch time.

I then pinned the bias tape around the coat itself. Martha doesn’t say how much bias tape is needed for the project, just the width needed. But the one pack did the trick, thankfully.

When stitching, I am still challenged by the curves. It puckered a little bit.

Sunday, November 20:

I did not have enough quilted material for the belly strap, so I cut it out of the linen. At this point, I am also out of the green bias tape, so I am improvising with some cream tape I have. I used the pattern pieces as a guide to place (and stitch the velcro in), and this week’s project is complete.

And Rocco will now be the warmest pup at the next pug meet-up:

Project Wrap-up

Sew Happy:

  • Having my mom here to pass along some of her tricks of the trade. Sew fun!
  • By no means have I picked up the art of quilting, but I was able to take what I learned during week two and apply it this week (quilting from the center out) with much success.

Not Sew Happy:

  • Stitching bias tape on the curve is still challenging. I want my finished projects to be pucker free.

Helpful Hints (to self)

  • This is not so much a hint, but maybe it’s time to consider trading in my stuffed rainbow trout for a pug. They are just too darn cute. Here’s another picture of the cutie pug-tootie Rocco. Katie made this costume for him to sport during Halloween:

Advertisements