Project: Necktie

Sew Tunes:   Sufjan Stevens (Pandora Station)

Pattern: Puking Pastilles

Fabric Used: Patterned Cotton (Calico) and Broadcloth

New to Me: Printable PDF Pattern

Trips to Store: 1

Loved One: Dean, a southern gent he is, faux-stache and all.

Day by Day…

It all started two weeks back when Dean was wearing a very cool Nola Couture tie.

I got excited. I wanted to make a Jenn Couture tie. And, I always wondered what a PDF pattern would be like. So here’s my chance to find out.

Decisions decisions. I searched “tie sewing patterns, free.” Two sites that I found while digging around the interweb over these last several weeks popped up in this search:

After reviewing both patterns and the directions, I decided to go with the pattern that Sew, Mama, Sew! suggested/had available on their site.

Tuesday, October 18:

Step 1: I printed out the PDF. On the first page, there were a few helpful hints listed. The most helpful, and something really great to know up front:

“Because ties are cut on the bias (or on a 45˚ angle), you need to pay special attention as you’re choosing fabrics. Tilt your head or the bolt of fabric 45˚ as you’re looking to know how it will look on the tie.”

I read through the directions. I am ready to buy the fabric and get started.

Wednesday, October 19:

I got my holiday cheer on early. Dean is getting a ho-ho-holiday tie. Perfect for the company Christmas party!

I have been eyeing this fabric the last few weeks (Christmas arrives in stores much too early). I guess this is considered calico, per Martha Stewart’s “Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts”:

“In the United States, ‘calico’ refers to inexpensive, lightweight cotton with a small printed pattern…In the United Kingdom, ‘calico’ refers to what is known as muslin in the United States.”

The pattern requires 5/8 yard of fabric for the tie, 5/8 yard of lining fabric, and 1 yard of lightweight interfacing.

When I got to the cutting table, the Hancock Fabrics team member, who looked like a seasoned seamstress, was surprised by how much fabric was required for the project. She said, “you must have to cut on the bias.” And because of reading the directions last night, I was able to confidently answer with a “yes”! I am starting to talk the talk.

So I came home with this in the bag.

Ok, so maybe I am not quite ready for couture. Practice, grasshopper, practice!

Saturday, October 22:

It’s 8:15 on Saturday morning, and I am anxious to start sewing. I love the feeling of a new project. I have ice coffee in one hand, scissors in the other.  Time to start cutting the pattern.

There are nine sheets total to the pattern. I cut each piece out, cutting along the dotted line every other sheet. I then taped them all together.

Before:

After:

I then cut one of each of the above pattern pieces from:

  • the tie fabric
  • the lining fabric
  • the interfacing

When cutting, I had to be aware of the grain line as the pieces need to be cut on the bias. Thinking back to the week I made my own bias tape. Per the instructions (and I sort of figured this), the interfacing doesn’t have a grain line, so how I place the pieces of the interfacing doesn’t really matter.

Sunday, October 23:

I am all domestic this morning. Between stirring a gumbo (hello, fall!), I am going to finish the tie.

First step for today: Fuse the interfacing to the lining (all three pieces).

It’s now time to assemble. I matched the raw edges of piece 1 to piece 2. I stitched 1/4″. I then did the same to attach pattern piece 3.

I repeated the above steps for the lining. Then, with right sides together, I stitched the lining to the tie fabric at the top and bottom. I clipped the edges, then turned right side out and pressed.

Once right side out, I basted the long raw edges of the tie 1/2″. However, once done, the tie was not straight. The center piece (pattern piece 2) looks like it bends to the left a bit. This may just be to help the tie rest on the neck better.

It’s time to fold. I used the basting stitch as a guide when I folded the right side 1/2″ in.

I then folded the left side of the tie into the middle of the tie, aligning the basting stitch with the center point of the tie. I pressed, then brought the right side in, placed it over the left side, and pressed.

And I am close to being done. All that is left is doing a hand stitch (blind stitch) to secure the back.

Project Wrap-up

Sew Happy:

  • I have fabric left over. I see ties and pillows under the Christmas trees of loved ones!

Not Sew Happy:

  • On the backside of the tie, I wish the circles lined up better.
Advertisements